Fifth Annual General Counsel Forum - Another Great Success!
DELVACCA 5th Annual General Counsel Forum Offered a Broad Range of Timely Information
The 5th General Counsel Forum, held October 10th at the Union League in Philadelphia, continued the tradition for this standout event by offering CLOs and senior managing counsel an impressive array of informative discussions on cutting edge issues presented by prominent authorities. The very well-attended, fast-paced program’s aggressive format included four substantive sessions in the morning leading to lunch and the keynote speaker. The sessions included:
- In the first session, Rob McCord, Chairman of the Eastern Technology Council, presented a forecast of the challenges that will confront Philadelphia region businesses in the coming decade.
- The second session presented a panel discussion on Corporate Crisis Management / Emergency Preparedness that addressed the planning considerations corporations need to assess. The panel included Ken Krenicky, former VP-Risk Management, Aventis, Adrian King of Ballard Spahr and Pedro Ramos, Managing Director, City of Philadelphia.
- The third session featured three segments on significant employment-related areas:
o Howard Radzely, U.S. Solicitor of Labor, gave an information-packed talk on the FLSA, FMLA, OSHA, OFCCP, discrimination issues, among others.
o Jim Boudreau of Littler Mendelson discussed key litigation hot-button areas for employers.
o Paul Virtue of Hogan & Hartson (former US Immigration and Naturalization Service General Counsel) discussed the evolving issues surrounding immigration reform.
- The morning closed with a continuation of the debate that was the focus of the 4th GC Forum in 2005: the state of the erosion of the attorney-client privilege in government investigations. The lively and informative discourse by the panelists was highly acclaimed by the attendees and amply demonstrated why this issue is so controversial. Led by Jud Starr of Venable LLP, the other authoritative speakers included Susan Hackett, Senior VP / GC of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Stephanie Martz, Director – White Collar Crime Project, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Jim Cole of Bryan Cave, and Honorable Patrick Meehan, U. S. Attorney (E.D. PA).
The keynote speaker, former U.S. Senator (Michigan) and Secretary of Energy Spencer Abraham, closed the forum with an insightful and timely talk on the fragility of the energy sector, its significance to US economic stability and the potential solutions to realization of energy independence.
The 5th GC Forum strategy started with the recognition that GCs are very busy and thus sought to optimize content in a short timeframe. The program succeeded in this goal, although opportunities for audience discussions were sacrificed and this will be taken into consideration in future forum planning. Some 70% of the attendees that evaluated the program said it either exceeded expectations or was excellent.
Recognition for the success of the forum goes to: Ken Pina (DELVACCA Past President), the always resourceful and adept Chris Stewart (DELVACCA Administrator) and Laurie Lawton-Smith and Barb Triolo of Johnson Matthey. Special thanks to valued program sponsors Littler Mendelson and Corporation Service Company (CSC). Also, the Association of Corporate Counsel (certain program materials), CSC for reproduction assistance, Dick Hauser and the National Legal Center for the Public Interest for program assistance and copy permission, and finally but not least Pepper Hamilton for kind assistance in obtaining the appearance of Secretary Abraham.
- Robert Talley, Program Chair