Message from the President
N. Alexander Erlam
These are exciting times for DELVACCA!
In January we reached 1000 members - a long standing goal of the Chapter. We are growing steadily as more and more in-house counsel are discovering the great benefits of membership!
With more exciting news, Tom Molchan, First Vice President, and the Corporate Counsel Excellence Awards Committee are feverishly planning the “Corporate Counsel Excellence Awards” to be held at The Union League of Philadelphia on April 15, 2010. This much anticipated event is a partnership with the Philadelphia Business Journal and it is designed to pay tribute to the unsung heroes of in-house practice. A diverse and notable panel of judges will award six awards:
Outstanding Chief Legal Officer of the Year
Outstanding In-House Counsel of the Year
Outstanding Community Service (by an individual)
Outstanding Large Law Department of the Year
Outstanding Small Law Department of the Year
- Outstanding Commitment to Diversity by a Law Department
Nominees and winners will appear in a multi-page spread in the Philadelphia Business Journal, on April 16, 2010. The Journal has a readership of over 90,000.
The Excellence Awards program is in line with our commitment to promote the virtues of in-house practice while focusing attention on DELVACCA outside of “legal” publications. I urge you to visit (http://www.acc.com/delvaccaform) and nominate a deserving in-house attorney (or legal department) for one of these awards.
To add to the mentioned cause for excitement, the Chapter initiatives that are in place for 2010:
Creation of Chapter Linked-In® Groups: a Chapter-wide, members only professional social networking group to communicate and network amongst other Chapter members.
Creation of the Young In-House Lawyer's Committee. Developed to meet the issues common to members under the age of 40, or less than 5 years as in-house counsel. Be sure to attend the Committee’s organizational meeting on February 18, 2010.
- Expansion of the Women Lawyers Initiative into a Board Committee, now renamed: In-House Women Lawyer’s Committee. This Committee will serve to plan and develop programming for women in-house counsel.
- Representation of DELVACCA and women in-house lawyers at the Legal Intelligencer's 2010 "Women in the Profession" Roundtable, to be held on February 17, 2010. Congratulations to past board member Lorraine Koc, Vice President and General Counsel of Deb Shops, Inc., for having been selected by the editorial staff of the Legal Intelligencer as the sole in-house counsel panelist.
- Successful organization of the Contracts & Commercial Law Committee and the Health, Biotech and Pharma Committee! Each Committee has held organizational meetings and each is well on their way to serve the needs of their respective members who practice in those areas of the law. If you haven’t already, please join a Practice Committee today!
In addition to the rolling out of these initiatives, the Chapter’s programming is falling into place nicely, with excellent CLE programs and networking events in the coming months, including:
The "Institute" Series: These are half-day morning programs featuring multiple CLE sessions along with breakfast served. Each of our Practice Committees will host one or two Institutes, covering a wide range of topics. The Chapter has already offered two Institute programs in late 2009 and each has received high praises from the attendees.
- New to In-House Symposium - March 24, 2010: We will once again hold the Symposium, with programs focusing on those new to in-house practice, with four sessions this year (expanded from three sessions in 2009).
- The Second In-House Counsel Conference - May 6, 2010: Over 300 members attended the Inaugural In-House Counsel Conference in April, 2009. This year, we expanded the Conference to consist of twenty CLE programs, four more than last year, and including a Chief Legal Officer track of programs. We will hold this year's Conference at the Downtown Marriott Hotel at 13th & Market Streets in Center City.
- Regional Meet Your Counterparts events: The Chapter is holding many networking social events throughout the Chapter’s service regions. Meet counterparts who practice in your area and enjoy good conversation, drinks and heavy hors D’oeuvres by attending these fun-filled events.
- GC Lunch Club: The popular "GC Lunch Club" features discussions relevant to the practice of chief legal officers and each is run by prominent general counsels in the region. The next GC Lunch Club event will be on Thursday, March 18, from 12:30-2:00 p.m., at Overbrook Golf Club in Villanova. The discussion leader will be Richard DePiano, President and General Counsel of Escalon Medical Corp., and the topic will be “The Dual Roles of Serving as General Counsel and Running a Business”.
Active Jobseekers Group - held its first meeting and its participants believe the group will be helpful during their in-transition status. The group will continue to meet monthly to share information and ideas for successful job hunting.
Please be sure to visit DELVACCA’s website often at http://delvacca.acc.com for more information about these events and all other Chapter information.
N. Alexander Erlam