Job List - May 31, 2011
Job List, May 31, 2011
Listings that are new in this edition are shown with an asterisk *
Please remember, if your company has a job opening, please let us know by contacting our new Editor, Rebecca Grossenbacher at email@example.com so we can include your opening in our biweekly announcement. Exceptional targeted marketing for free!!
Do you wish your company could be listed at the top of our list? Contact us directly with your opening. And you can help make this Job List more successful: Put this Job List in the hands of your HR department so that they know how to advertise for in-house attorneys, when the time comes. Take action now!
Apricus Biosciences, San Diego
Source: Member Referral
Under supervision of the EVP & Corporate Counsel, this position is responsible for assisting with the maintenance of the company’s patent estate. Essential Functions: Assist in ensuring thorough lab notebooks and proper documentation of inventions. Assist in the coordination of outside patent firms. Draft patent claims. Draft provisional and regular U.S. patent applications. Prosecute patents through the USPTO and possibly the PCT system. Assist in the maintenance of the Company's growing patent portfolio. May assist in responding to patent-oriented due diligence requests. May assist in monitoring the Company’s trademark estate. Education and Experience: BS Degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry required. Graduate degree preferred. 2-4 years of previous experience writing patent claims and maintaining or helping maintain an active and growing patent estate for a pharmaceutical company, biotech or life sciences company. Exceptional communication and written skills required. Working Conditions: Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds, bend and remain standing for several hours throughout the day. Ability to work as part of a team in a fast paced environment and adapt to change. Flexibility to adjust work schedule to accommodate varying work loads. Ability to participate in holiday and weekend rotational staffing as needed. No known animal or dust allergies. For consideration, please e-mail resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject of your e-mail.
*ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
First Allied Securities, San Diego
The Securities Attorney – Associate General Counsel’s primary function will be intake, processing and responding to customer complaints and regulatory inquires through investigating, researching and evaluating claims and inquiries. They will be reporting on disclosable events to regulatory agencies.
* Experience with legal and compliance issues in the securities industry
* JD Degree required
* Minimum three years of financial services experience at a broker/dealer, regulatory agency or law firm
* Knowledge of financial and legal terminology and principles
* Ability to interview witnesses and document what is learned
* Ability to analyze legal and financial documents
* Ability to prioritize and work under a tight schedule
* Knowledge of U.S. Securities laws and regulations, particularly 1933 Act, 1934 Act, Investment Advisers Act and FINRA, SEC, and state regulations
* Strong analytical skills, including the ability to proactively identify and analyze compliance and regulatory issues
* Ability to perform legal research
* A strong desire to work in a team atmosphere and build relationships with internal clients
* Ability to work independently and take the lead on projects either individually or through pulling together a group
* Well-organized, able to meet deadlines and comfortable dealing with business side clients
* Must possess problem-solving and multi-tasking skills, as well as superior written and verbal communication skills
The primary function of the Associate General Council will be taking in, processing and responding to customer complaints and regulatory inquires by:
* Investigate, research and evaluate claims and inquiries
* Gather relevant documentation and information
* Prepare profit and loss reviews of accounts
* Analyze compliance issues
* Prepare written responses
* Report disclosable events to regulatory agencies
* Produce various communications to both internal and external audiences
* Performing a variety of administrative work in the due diligence department
To Apply: http://www.indeed.com
*ASSOCIATE IN HOUSE COUNSEL
Cytori Therapeutics, San Diego
Source: ACC Job Line
In-House attorney reporting to General Counsel. Assist with corporate goverance matters, including preparation of all Board of Director and committees' materials and minutes. Assist in maintaining corporate compliance programs, SEC reporting, contract drafting and negotiating, review of leases, formal agreements and other legal instruments. Works within overall philosophy and strategy of the company and assists in ensuring practices, policies and business activities fall within the bounds of the organization's legal posture. Assists in providing legal counsel and guidance to officers or other managers on corporate legal matters. 1 to 4 years experience Knowledge and experience in corporate governance matters SEC reporting experience Ability to work in a highly fluid and cha JD from accredited ABA law school Member of CA State Bar in good standing. To Apply: http://jobline.acc.com/jobs#/detail/4270604
ASSISTANT TO THE GENERAL COUNSEL
Kratos Defense, San Diego
Kratos Defense Security Solutions, Inc., a leading national security solutions provider, is seeking an attorney with 3-7 years of experience for the position of Corporate Attorney, reporting to the General Counsel. Daily responsibilities will include: Responsible for dispute management and resolution and employment law matters. Provides legal advice and support for mergers and acquisition transactions, including assisting in due diligence, drafting and negotiating transaction documents, and actively managing deal processes and execution. Drafts, reviews and negotiates contracts, including leases. Researches legal issues. Assist with corporate governance matters. Required: 3-7 years of experience and a BA/BS and JD degree is required. Admitted to practice in California. Able to work independently and exercise good judgment. Able to quickly establish credibility as an advisor, change agent and business partner with internal clients. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent business judgment, ability to think strategically and give practical advice. Must have strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and organizational skills, as well as the ability to meet tight deadlines and to work in a fast paced, challenging environment. Experience with public company reporting requirements helpful but not required. Must be available to work evenings and weekends as required. To Apply: http://kratosdefense.submit4jobs.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=85347.viewjobdetail&CID=85347&JID=106953
CHIEF HEALTH LAW COUNSEL
UCSD, San Diego
The University of California, San Diego invites applications for the position of Chief Health Law Counsel. Responsibilities include the wide range of legal issues associated with a major academic medical center and research university, including, but not limited to the following: health care anti-fraud and abuse compliance matters, health information privacy matters, health care transactions and affiliations, managed care disputes, federal health care program reimbursement matters, compliance with restrictions on tax-exempt entities, health professional and facility accreditation/licensure, human subject research protections, medical staff and peer review matters, compliance with UC policy; and other issues as they arise or are assigned. The Chief Health Law Counsel (CHLC), reports to and works in collaboration with the Chief Campus Counsel and the Deputy General Counsel, Health Law and Medical Center Services, and provides legal services to the UC San Diego Health Sciences, which includes the Medical Center, the Medical Group, and the Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, in the areas of Healthcare, clinical service, and contracting. The CHLC has relationships with peers at other UC campuses and works with them on joint or system-wide efforts, as appropriate. The CHLC also coordinates with other offices, such as the Office of Risk Management, the Office of Contracts and Grants Administration, and the Office of Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property Services Office, as appropriate. The Chief Health Law Counsel provides advice and counsel related to the operation of a comprehensive academic health sciences campus and medical center. Licensed California attorney with a minimum of eight years legal experience with significant experience in health care-related law. Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work cooperatively with other attorneys, groups, clients and constituencies with differing priorities and perspectives. Knowledge of and experience with academic research, in a university environment, and associated issues of health system and governmental relations. Superior academic qualifications, with strong analytic, writing, and client consultation skills. Demonstrated ability to distill large quantities of often imperfect information and to generate creative approaches to legal challenges facing Health Sciences, including the Medical Center, the Medical Group, the Schools of Medicine and Pharmacy, in the areas of Healthcare, including clinical service and contracting. Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate the priorities of a complex and dynamic organization, as well as the ability to develop legal strategies which forward these priorities within acceptable limits of risk and exposure. Demonstrated ability to work well under conditions of heavy workload, frequent overtime, rapidly changing priorities, a highly fluid authority structure, and deadlines requiring immediate action. Demonstrated ability to make timely, accurate and complete reports of activities to multiple supervisors and clients. Demonstrated ability and willingness to use standard computer software applications, including, Microsoft Word, email programs, Internet browsers and on-line legal search. SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: J.D. Degree from an ABA accredited institution. Active membership in good standing with the State Bar of California (or eligibility for immediate membership). To Apply: http://socalherc.org/c/job.cfm?site_id=761&jb=7598950&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed
LG Mobile Communications, San Diego
This position will report directly to the General Counsel. Primary responsibilities shall include the drafting, negotiating and advising management with respect to all commercial contracts, including customer sales, supplier, licensing, and service agreements. It is also expected that the position will be involved in all matters of company risk analysis and mitigation, including IP and products liability litigation management and matters relating to government regulation, employment and marketing/advertising. It is anticipated that there will be regular interaction with business clients, upper level management and outside customers in regard to drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and transactions. Strong interpersonal skills are key as this position will include regular interface with a highly collaborative and interactive legal and business teams. This is an exciting opportunity to join a small but fast paced and dynamic legal department and work on an interesting mix of in-house matters in connection with some of the most cutting-edge products available in today’s market. The ideal candidate is enthused about the growth potential of the position and is motivated by the opportunity to become quickly integrated into the business team. Requirements: JD from a top accredited law school with excellent academics. A minimum of 5-7 years of solid corporate experience, through a combination of major law firm and in house counsel experience. Possesses a rich depth of corporate and commercial law experience, Proven drafting and negotiating skills. Ability to think strategically and provide leadership when needed. Ability to work independently, take ownership of, and effectively resolve problems. Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively, work diplomatically, and foster relationships with individuals at all levels. Strong conflict management skills and ability to influence and achieve successful results. Solid organizational and time management skills. To Apply: https://law-jobs.theladders.com/job/jobboard?cr=2701801&nofx=7823812&pl=ind-L1
IN HOUSE TAX ATTORNEY
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Manager, Federal Tax The candidate will provide Tax Compliance and advisory services partnerships, corporations, and S-corporations for a variety of clients from Fortune 100 to emerging businesses Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team helping to provide Industry knowledge and experience. Manage a portfolio of clients of varying size and scope and act as the point of contact for internal and external clients. Build and manage client relationships. Manage teams of tax professionals and assistants working on client projects. Manage risk and Financial performance of engagements including billing, collections and the budget for projects. Advise clients and be responsible for delivering high quality tax service and advice. Participate in and contribute to market and business activities external to the firm. The candidate should have a Bachelor's degree, J.D., LL.M. in Taxation, and/or Master's in Taxation (MST) from an accredited college/university. Must have 5 years of corporate tax experience in an accounting firm, corporation and/or law firm. Should be a licensed CPA or attorney. Must have strong knowledge of FAS 109. Experience with corporate taxation, consolidations and partnerships is essential. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=6171&key2=nwo
SENIOR DIRECTOR / VICE PRESIDENT, Intellectual Property Counsel
Genomatica, San Diego
Top Roles Required for Success
1. Develop and implement IP strategy for the company/advise company on all IP issues
a. Manage domestic and international patent procurement strategies
b. Implement and oversee infringement, validity, and freedom-to-operate analyses
c. Manage IP due diligence reviews and analyses
d. Litigation management
e. Collaboration and licensing agreements, and other IP related transactions
f. Advice and counsel to R&D and business people on IP related issues
g. Member of internal product development teams
2. Supervise/partner with outside counsel
3. General corporate legal support – NDA’s, MTA’s, licensing agreements, contracts, etc.
Specific Deliverables: Near and Intermediate Term
* Understand competitive intellectual property landscape
* Provide assessment of the current state of the patent portfolio and internal processes. Identify opportunities/challenges, and recommend actions/processes that are scalable, sustainable, and leveraging
* Establish effective working relationship and process with outside counsel
* Establish clear role in general corporate legal support
Required Skills, Knowledge, Experience, and Track Record of Success
* JD degree and admission to state bar; preferably California
* Licensed to practice as a registered patent attorney before the USPTO
* Undergraduate/PhD preferred in related science field
* 7 -10 years practice experience, including large law firm training and corporate experience
* Track record of success in a wide range of intellectual property matters in areas including patent procurement, opinions, licensing, IP due diligence, IP related transactions, international expertise, internal processes around intellectual property development, conflict resolution and intellectual property litigation
* Ability to prioritize
* Presentation and writing skills
* Corporate legal experience a plus
To Apply: http://jobs.law360.com/JobSeeker/JobDetail.aspx?abbr=JOBSLAW360&jobid=71c6f9d2-e318-4995-bc55-caecc9da00d8
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL, MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
CareFusion, San Diego
Responsible for providing Legal advice, counsel and services in mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing and dispositions, including leading and coordinating legal and functional due diligence and structuring, negotiating and preparing the applicable agreements.
* Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with CareFusion's businesses, its people, products, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to identify trends and formulate transaction structures and strategies accordingly.
* Coordinate with corporate development and relevant business unit personnel to ensure transactions are appropriately prioritized and executed resulting in the highest return for CareFusion.
* Coordinate with Corporate Development team to drive transactions toward completion, including liaising with key internal and external legal, regulatory, human resources, finance, tax, accounting, risk management, treasury, and operating business resources.
* Draft a variety of agreements and other acquisition and divestiture related documents, assist in negotiating agreements and in structuring key transaction terms in a manner that helps the business achieve its objectives while at the same time appropriately valuing legal, regulatory and tax directives and considerations.
* Establish rapport and a working relationship with management at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
* Manage a variety of the legal work related to CareFusion's acquisitions, divestitures and strategic investments, including drafting and negotiating primary and ancillary transaction documents.
* Perform special assignments or projects, without significant supervision
What is expected of you for success in your role:
* Demonstrates expert knowledge of M&A processes and principles
* Anticipates and analyzes business and legal transactional issues across multiple disciplines and structures contracts to address these issues
* Advises clients on complex business and legal transactional risks
* Provides strategic solutions and course of action with respect to such risks
* Proactively identifies an unmet need or gap in transactional process (e.g., legal or compliance issues)
* Leads/directs and influences various constituents who are stakeholders in an acquisition or divestiture matter
* Takes responsibility for the outcome of a substantial portion of a project
* Travel at least 50% (domestic and international)
* Minimum of 5-7 years of corporate legal experience with a primary focus in complex Mergers & Acquisitions, either with a law firm or as in-house counsel.
* Law degree from an accredited law school with a strong academic record required. Licensed to practice law in at least one jurisdiction in the United States required.
* A business partner (a business person's lawyer) with excellent judgment, particularly in determining the significance of legal matters and effectively measuring risks.
* Ability to assume complex projects, create and present a plan of action, and independently manage projects to favorable resolution or conclusion.
* Ability to work autonomously yet liaise effectively with the business teams and shared services functions (regulatory, finance, etc.).
* Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with ability to synthesize complex legal issues to essential elements for clients throughout the organization with different abilities and responsibilities.
* Strong organizational skills to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously; willingness to assume heavy workload to meet timing and project needs.
* Willingness to be trained on CareFusion ethics policies; international entity structures; and corporate directives.
To Apply: https://cfn.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=442343&src=JB-10482
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, Vista/Carlsbad
Company dealing in Intellectual Property is looking to hire someone immediately. This is a permanent position, however the first six months will be a trial period, after the first three months, there will be a performance review.
• Licensed to practice law in California and New York
• At least 4-5 years experience in litigation, trial and appellate work; DO NOT apply unless you have at least 4 years experience.
• Be able to work independently as well as in a team setting
• Be business minded, also able to adapt and handle new and different task as they present themselves.
• Experience with drafting summary motions, deal work, IP (trademark, copyright) and general transactional matters.
• Is eager and willing to dive right in and to further learn and grow.
• Review and evaluate motion picture titles for chain of title, copyright ownership, distribution rights and film title rights.
• Research and Trademark protection.
• Handle non-complex general business litigation from start to finish, including law and motion practice, discovery, and trial, if necessary.
• Drafting and negotiating general business contracts.
• Litigating breach of contract claims and business litigation for the company.
• Performing duties of lead counsel and co-counsel with expert in litigation.
• Performing legal research, and writing briefs, memoranda
• Ensuring court deadlines are met and court rules and procedures are followed.
• Contend acquisition and licensing deals.
To Apply: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/lgl/2371650983.html
Notes on Contract Work
Are you are interested in doing short-term work as an independent contractor, usually for litigation and due diligence projects, usually through an agency, and most often for law firms? We do not include these sorts of positions in this Job List, but if you are interested, there seems to be a constant demand and turn-over. So we would encourage you to contact directly our long-standing sponsor, who has extensive experience handling these sorts of placements:
402 West Broadway, Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101
And as a matter of full disclosure, another local company that advertises these sorts of positions is:
4520 Executive Drive, Suite 227
San Diego, California 92121-3020
858-453-0133 · Fax: 858-453-7508
Copyright © 2011 by
Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter
All rights reserved.