Job List - December 12, 2011
Job List, December 12, 2011
Listings that are new in this edition are shown with an asterisk *
Please remember, if your company has a job opening, please let us know by contacting our new Editor, Rebecca Grossenbacher at email@example.com so we can include your opening in our biweekly announcement. Exceptional targeted marketing for free!!
Do you wish your company could be listed at the top of our list? Contact us directly with your opening. And you can help make this Job List more successful: Put this Job List in the hands of your HR department so that they know how to advertise for in-house attorneys, when the time comes. Take action now!
Soitec Corporation, San Diego
Source: Member Referral
The Corporate Counsel reports to the General Counsel/Legal Director of the Solar Energy Business Unit and is a member of the corporate legal team. The Corporate Counsel´s key function is to provide legal support in the nature of counseling, drafting, negotiating, and transactional assistance to the Solar Business Unit which develops projects for utility scale solar power plants, worldwide. Responsibilities include providing advice, counsel and general transactional support in connection with the development, construction, and operation of solar projects.
* Provide advice, counsel and general transactional support in connection with the development, construction, and operation of solar projects
* Negotiate, draft, and review complex, detailed project agreements such as supply and transmission agreements, memoranda of understanding, engineering, procurement and construction agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, and equipment supply agreements
* Respond to RFP’s
* Provide advice, counsel and recommendations with regard to insurance/risk management issues
* Support bid transactions and acquisition efforts
* Support divestiture activities and sales of operating projects and projects in development
* Work closely with real estate attorneys and land acquisition/project development team in the acquisition of options and leases on land
* Manage outside counsel as appropriate
* Collaborate and coordinate legal workload with other legal colleagues
* Contribute to the development of a dynamically growing company by being a team player willing to help out beyond direct responsibilities
* Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school
* Member in good standing of the California bar
* Big Law Firm experience preferred
* At least three years of successful corporate transactional experience required
* Experience in the PV or wind industry desired
* Strong commercial legal knowledge and experience preferred
* Experience in contract negotiations required
* Superior drafting and communication skills with the ability to deliver pragmatic, business-oriented advice
* Ability to effectively learn and utilize departmental software (i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.)
* Acumen in prioritizing tasks logically and plan work efficiently to maximize the administrative support for legal function available from limited resources
* A strong interest in a systematic approach, attention to detail and desire to see things through to completion
* Customer service attitude both with regards to external customers and internal colleagues
* Proven ability to develop strong relationships with long term business partners
* Result-oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* Ability to ensure timely completion of complex projects to a very high quality standard
* Demonstrated track record of performing under pressure in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
* Available for frequent travel
* Intercultural work experience and knowledge of French and/or German language advantageous
* A strong finisher with a can-do attitude
*SENIOR CORPORATE COUNSEL
Entropic, San Diego
The Senior Corporate Counsel will report to Entropic’s Vice President and General Counsel. Ideally the candidate will work in our San Diego, CA headquarters however we will consider a remote site for the right candidate. This person will provide legal support and direction for a broad variety of transactional and business operational activities for multiple organizations within the company, including the company’s overseas subsidiaries. Responsibilities will include: Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and closing a wide range of transactions, including hardware sales, reseller, procurement, marketing, professional services & support, software licensing and contract manufacturing. Assisting with all aspects of the company’s compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including preparation of annual and current reports and other documents required to be filed with the SEC. Keeping abreast of new legal developments affecting the company and informing other company attorneys and affected personnel of such developments. Providing general legal support and consulting to individuals at all levels of the company in legal, human resources, sales, finance and accounting, marketing, information technology, operations and engineering. Managing and overseeing legal work performed by outside counsel, and supporting such work by providing appropriate interface and access to company documents and personnel. Assisting with mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence investigation, contract drafting, negotiation and support, and post-acquisition integration activities. Formulating, drafting and implementing corporate policies, monitoring compliance and conducting educational training for employees regarding such policies. Assisting with creating, implementing and supporting an effective document management system for company contracts. Formulating and implementing “best practices” for the company’s legal department, and assisting with other aspects of managing the corporate legal function. This position requires a J.D. degree from an accredited law school and must be admitted to practice law in California along with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience with a major law firm and/or corporation focused on the high technology or information technology industries, and admission to the State Bar of California. Candidates must have a strong background and broad experience in commercial contracts and demonstrated a track record in being responsible for all aspects of negotiating, drafting and closing transactional agreements. Qualified candidates must possess a strong understanding of, and experience with, intellectual property licensing, protection and related issues. We are seeking candidates who have great people skills and business sense, and significant experience in working closely with both internal clients and opposing counsel. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to maintain a courteous, businesslike manner; and possess the ability to work accurately in a fast-paced environment while achieving results on cross-functional project teams. To be successful in this position, candidates will have demonstrated success in identifying problems and implementing solutions for day-to-day issues; a track record for building relationships across diverse employee bases and the ability to interact and coordinate departmental activities with other legal functions. Candidates should be skilled at prioritizing needs in a fast-paced environment and be comfortable working with all levels of employees. Candidates will also have strong business acumen developed through broad skill/experience base and experience with administration/deployment of legal process. Additional requirements include having proven sound judgment, a high-performance orientation and outstanding customer relations skills. We're looking for someone who is strategic but is capable and willing to roll up his/her sleeves. The position requires someone who is committed to continuous improvement, has excellent written and verbal communication skills and is able to adapt as the business evolves. This is a challenging, hands-on opportunity ideal for a legal professional who is seeking an opportunity to play an integral role in a dynamic, fast-paced and growing business. To Apply: http://search3.smartsearchonline.com/entropic/jobs/jobdetails.asp?job_number=1342&sourcename=Indeed
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Will report to Vice President and General Counsel. Will provide Legal support and direction for a broad variety of transactional and business operational activities for multiple organizations within the company, including the company's overseas subsidiaries. Will be responsible for Drafting, reviewing, negotiating and closing a wide range of transactions, including hardware sales, reseller, Procurement, Marketing, professional services and support, software licensing and Contract Manufacturing. Assisting with all aspects of the company's compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including preparation of annual and current reports and other documents required to be filed with the SEC. Keeping abreast of new Legal developments affecting the company and informing other company attorneys and affected personnel of such developments. Providing General Legal support and Consulting to individuals at all levels of the company in Legal, Human Resources, sales, Finance and accounting, Marketing, Information Technology, Operations and Engineering. Managing and overseeing Legal work performed by outside counsel, and supporting such work by providing appropriate interface and access to company documents and personnel. Assisting with mergers and acquisitions, including due diligence investigation, Contract Drafting, negotiation and support, and post-acquisition integration activities. Formulating, Drafting and implementing corporate policies, monitoring compliance and conducting educational training for employees regarding such policies. Assisting with creating, implementing and supporting an effective document Management system for company contracts. Formulating and implementing "best practices" for the company's Legal department, and assisting with other aspects of managing the corporate Legal function. Requirements : A J.D. degree from an accredited law school and must be admitted to practice law in California along with 4+ years of relevant experience with a major law firm and/or corporation focused on the high Technology or Information Technology industries, and admission to the State Bar of California. Must have a strong background and broad experience in Commercial contracts and demonstrated a track record in being responsible for all aspects of negotiating, Drafting and closing transactional agreements. Qualified candidate must possess a strong understanding of, and experience with, Intellectual Property licensing, protection and related issues. Should have great people skills and business sense, and significant experience in working closely with both internal clients and opposing counsel. Must demonstrate the ability to maintain a courteous, businesslike manner; and possess the ability to work accurately in a fast-paced environment while achieving results on cross-functional project teams. Should have demonstrated success in identifying problems and implementing solutions for day-to-day issues; a track record for building relationships across diverse employee bases and the ability to interact and coordinate departmental activities with other Legal functions. Candidates should be skilled at prioritizing needs in a fast-paced environment and be comfortable working with all levels of employees. Also should have strong business acumen developed through broad skill/experience base and experience with Administration/deployment of Legal process. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=12637&key2=nwo
*IN HOUSE PATENT ATTORNEY / PATENT AGENT
Brain Corporation, San Diego
Brain Corporation, a fast growing startup incubated on Qualcomm campus, has an immediate opening for a skilled and experienced in-house Patent Agent/Patent Attorney. You will be closely working with world’s leading experts in computational neuroscience and robotics, who develop an artificial nervous system for the next generation of smart robots. Essential Job Duties: Attend daily brainstorming sessions with scientists and researchers. Identify patentable inventions, conduct invention-disclosure meetings, draft and file patent applications. Work with outside counsel in patent preparation and prosecution. Develop in-depth expertise in the growing field of neuroscience and robotics. Qualifications: Solid experience in patent preparation and prosecution; 3+ years for an attorney; 5+ years for an agent. Advance degree (preferably PhD) in computer science, electrical engineering, or related technical field. Familiarity with concepts of artificial intelligence and neural networks. Submit your resume to jobs AT braincorporation DOT com. http://www.braincorporation.com
VP, ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL, LITIGATION
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Our client, a leading, global medical device company, is seeking a VP, Associate General Counsel, Litigation. The position will report directly to the General Counsel, and will manage a wide range of corporate and business specific litigation with an emphasis in intellectual property litigation. The areas of law are broad and will focus on managing all aspects of intellectual property litigation (including developing patent litigation strategy), complex litigation, products liability, and business matters. Required experience: 12+ years of litigation experience in a law firm and/or corporation, with an emphasis on Intellectual Property litigation; some experience managing litigation in a corporation is preferred; JD degree from an ABA accredited law school; and the California bar. Strong preference for in-house litigation management experience and medical device experience is a plus. California relocations may be possible, but San Diego candidates are strongly preferred. Client has retained the services of Major, Lindsey & Africa on an exclusive basis. Please submit resumes to the attention of Deborah Ben-Canaan via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
GENERAL COUNSEL, PORT ATTORNEY
San Diego Unified Port District, San Diego
The San Diego Unified Port District is seeking an attorney to serve as Port Attorney (General Counsel). This position is a very visible and strategically key position for the Port. The ideal candidate will have at least 15 years of experience, the California bar and expertise working with public agencies. Most of the legal work is done in-house. Therefore, in addition to handling the administrative functions, the ideal candidate will be expected to handle certain legal matters personally. The Port Attorney must also have experience mentoring and overseeing a legal team. The ideal candidate must have an excellent personality, be self-confident, secure and easygoing, with the ability to get along with many different personality types. The Port has retained the services of Major, Lindsey & Africa on an exclusive basis for this search. Resumes sent directly to the Port will be forwarded to our firm. Please submit resumes to the attention of Deborah Ben-Canaan via email to: email@example.com
VICE PRESIDENT, ETHICS AND COMPLIANCE
Bridgepoint Education, San Diego
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, General Corporate Counsel the Vice President, Ethics and Compliance is a full-time position located in San Diego, CA.
Essential Job Duties:
• Develops, initiates, maintains, and revise policies and procedures for the general operation of the Compliance Program and its related activities to prevent illegal, unethical, or improper conduct. Manages the day-to-day operation of the Program
• Develops and periodically reviews and updates Standards of Conduct to ensure continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to management and employees
• Collaborates with other departments (e.g., Risk Management, Internal Audit, Human Resources, etc.) to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution. Consults with the Corporate Attorney as needed to resolve difficult legal compliance issues.
• Responds to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedure, and Standards of Conduct by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures. Develops and oversees a system for uniform handling of such violations.
• Acts as an independent review and evaluation body to ensure that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
• Monitors, and as necessary, coordinates compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends
• Identifies potential areas of compliance and vulnerability and risk; develops/implement corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues, and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
• Maintain a working knowledge of relevant regulatory issues, of professional or industry substantive codes, and of federal and state laws and regulations
• Maintain a working knowledge of relevant ethics issues of professional or higher education industry ethics codes and of ethics conflicts resolution techniques
• Develop / implement / maintain the compliance program
• Establish a compliance focal point
• Coordination and reporting on all activity of the monthly Corporate Compliance Committee – a multi-disciplinary departmental meeting associated with all compliance measurements
• Develop / implement / maintain Standards of Conduct, related to procedures
• Establish reporting channels for employees to use without fear of retaliation
• Monitor the compliance plan for periodic updates when needed
• Reports to the Senior Executive Leadership Team and Board of Directors the effectiveness and operation of compliance an ethics program in compliance with the standards of the Federal Sentencing Guidelines
• Establish / monitor controls for an effective compliance reporting
• Oversee compliance investigations with company attorney(s) and Human Resources personnel and Coordinate/conduct investigations to resolve compliance issues
• Respond appropriately if a violation is uncovered, internally (by management or employee) or externally (by government or media).
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
• Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
• Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
• Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
• Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
• Driving Results: The final competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
• Certifications or training in higher education desired
• 7-10 years of professional with experience in higher education – preferred
• Experience to include demonstrated leadership, familiarity with operational , financial, quality assurance and Human Resources procedures and regulations – required
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Solid management and outstanding supervisory experience • Well developed time management and organization skills and the ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects related to various departments.
• Masters Degree required in addition with Doctorial and/or JD preferred.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
To Apply: https://www.bridgepointeducation.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=4073&CurrentPage=4&sid=53
Unnamed Company, San Diego
The candidate will prepare and prosecute strategic, high quality patent applications protecting company's products and services. Will work closely with company scientists and engineers to identify and protect inventions that are important to company. Participate in company's invention disclosure review process to help ensure that company's best inventions are identified and patented. Participate from time to time as a member of a cross functional team to provide support in licensing, litigation, or other matters. The candidate should have a B.S. degree and/or advanced degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics, or Computer Science. Should also have a J.D. degree from an accredited university, and admission to a State Bar. Admission to the USPTO is needed. Must have 0-6 years experience as a Patent Attorney. Experience in a large corporate environment, as an attorney and/or Engineer required. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=11893&key2=nwo
Notes on Contract Work
Are you are interested in doing short-term work as an independent contractor, usually for litigation and due diligence projects, usually through an agency, and most often for law firms? We do not include these sorts of positions in this Job List, but if you are interested, there seems to be a constant demand and turn-over. So we would encourage you to contact directly our long-standing sponsor, who has extensive experience handling these sorts of placements:
402 West Broadway, Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101
And as a matter of full disclosure, another local company that advertises these sorts of positions is:
4520 Executive Drive, Suite 227
San Diego, California 92121-3020
858-453-0133 · Fax: 858-453-7508
Copyright © 2011 by
Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter
All rights reserved.