Job List - February 20, 2012
Job List, February 20, 2012
Listings that are new in this edition are shown with an asterisk *
Please remember, if your company has a job opening, please let us know by contacting our new Editor, Rebecca Grossenbacher at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can include your opening in our biweekly announcement. Exceptional targeted marketing for free!!
Do you wish your company could be listed at the top of our list? Contact us directly with your opening. And you can help make this Job List more successful: Put this Job List in the hands of your HR department so that they know how to advertise for in-house attorneys, when the time comes. Take action now!
Sempra International, San Diego
The Corporate Attorney analyzes, develops, coordinates, supervises and administers the provision of complex legal services for Sempra Pipelines & Storage and its operating companies, while under the direction of the Vice President and General Counsel and the Senior International Counsel. Primarily responsible for structuring, negotiating and documenting a variety of complex and ordinary course transactions, including recourse and non-recourse financings, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts and other business arrangements, particularly as they relate to the Business Unit’s Latin American investments. Work in conjunction with Sempra Energy’s corporate secretary’s office and tax department in assisting in the administration and structuring of the Business Unit’s ownership interests in its U.S. and non-U.S. subsidiaries. Analyze complex business situations and develop recommendations which meet the Business Unit’s legal and business needs. Coordinate, implement and monitor legal services to the Business Unit to facilitate and achieve Business Unit objectives, including working closely with internal and external counsel in Latin America, along with the senior managers in the Latin American subsidiaries and in the Business Unit itself. Provide oversight and support over transactions and other legal activities within the Business Unit, especially activities involving the operating companies in Latin America. Interact with the Business Unit executives and upper management of other client groups. Performs other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties). Candidates must demonstrate excellent legal analysis, writing, and communications, they must have a J.D. or LL.M from an accredited law school, and they must be a member in good standing of the California Bar or another U.S Jurisdiction. 8 or more years of relevant transactional experience. The preferred candidate should have experience with a well established law firm and/or a corporate law department at a multi-national company. Experience with international transactions in Latin America and the energy industry are pluses. The candidate must be bilingual (English/Spanish) and be able to perform legal work in both a U.S. and Latin American environment, working in both English and Spanish. This position requires frequent travel to Latin America and some travel within the United States. To Apply: https://www.sempra.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=466&sid=15
*LEGAL COUNSEL (CONTRACTOR)
Mitchell International, San Diego
Mitchell is seeking an experienced (6+ years) transactional attorney to work full time for a limited engagement (approximately 6 months) on multiple projects related to process improvements. Candidates should possess substantial commercial transactional experience (with an emphasis in technology licenses) and should have worked in-house for at least 2 years. The position includes the following core responsibilities. Manages special projects pertaining to the organization as assigned by the General Counsel or Senior Counsel. Evaluates existing procedures or contract templates, coordinates and secures business unit and legal department input and defines business and legal objectives, proposes alternative procedures or modifications to existing templates and, together with the General Counsel or Senior Counsel (as applicable), implements the agreed upon solution (including, drafting all associated documentation). Interacts with a broad spectrum of corporate departments. Acts as an interdepartmental liaison and advisor with respect to procedural improvements with an overall goal of simplifying and accelerating business unit interaction with the legal department. Demonstrates experience in general corporate matters, including corporate organization, drafting transactional documents, license agreements, data privacy, and contract management. This position will report directly to the General Counsel and, with respect to specific projects, to the Senior Counsel responsible for the impacted business unit. Scope of Responsibility: Advising management with respect to process improvements, including simplification of existing contracting procedures and corresponding modifications to contract templates. Act as business partner that has regular interaction with business clients and upper level management with respect to evaluating existing processes and procedures. Strong interpersonal skills are key as this position will include regular interface with a highly collaborative and interactive legal and business teams. Evaluating existing procedures and contract templates to ensure they are aligned with the objectives of the business and the legal department. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast paced and dynamic legal department and work on an interesting mix of in-house matters and Client Relations. The ideal candidate is enthused about the growth potential of the position and is motivated by the opportunity to become quickly integrated into the business team. Qualifications: JD from a top accredited law school with excellent academics. A minimum of 6 or more years of solid technology licensing and corporate experience, through a combination of major law firm and in house counsel experience. Possesses a rich depth of corporate and commercial law experience and a proven track record of successful interaction with in-house business units. Proven drafting and negotiating skills. Ability to think strategically and provide leadership when needed. Ability to work independently, take ownership of, and effectively resolve problems. Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively, work diplomatically, and foster relationships with individuals at all levels. Strong conflict management skills and ability to influence and achieve successful results. Solid organizational and time management skills. To Apply: https://www9.ultirecruit.com/MIT1000/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*E0618DA7AAB6D0B6
*CORPORATE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, San Diego
The candidate works on multiple projects related to process improvements. Manages special projects pertaining to the organization as assigned by the General Counsel or Senior Counsel. Evaluates existing procedures or Contract templates, coordinates and secures business unit and Legal department input and defines business and Legal objectives, proposes alternative procedures or modifications to existing templates and, together with the General Counsel or Senior Counsel (as applicable), implements the agreed upon solution (including, Drafting all associated documentation). Interacts with a broad spectrum of corporate departments. Acts as an interdepartmental liaison and Advisor with respect to procedural improvements with an overall goal of simplifying and accelerating business unit interaction with the Legal department. Reports to the General Counsel and, with respect to specific projects, to the Senior Counsel responsible for the impacted business unit. Advises Management with respect to process improvements, including simplification of existing contracting procedures and corresponding modifications to Contract templates. Acts as business partner that has regular interaction with business clients and upper level Management with respect to evaluating existing processes and procedures. Evaluates existing procedures and Contract templates to ensure they are aligned with the objectives of the business and the Legal department. The candidate should have a J.D. degree from a top accredited law school with excellent academics. Must have 6+ years of solid Technology licensing and corporate experience, through a combination of major law firm and in house. Should possess substantial Commercial transactional experience (with an emphasis in Technology licenses) and should have worked in-house for at least 2 years. Demonstrates experience in General corporate matters, including corporate organization, Drafting transactional documents, license agreements, data privacy, and Contract Management. Should possesses a rich depth of corporate and Commercial law experience and a proven track record of successful interaction with in-house business units. Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. Note: This is a limited engagement (approximately 6 months) position. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=15404&key2=nwo
*ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL
Volcano Corporation, San Diego
We're currently looking for an experienced Assistant General Legal Counsel in our San Diego headquarters. As the Assistant General Counsel, you will be expected to be a leader within the organization and to develop a forward-leaning legal department. To qualify, you must possess significant pharmaceutical or medical devices industry experience, some of which has been gained within at least one commercially viable pharmaceutical/medical device company. To be successful in this position you will:
* Quickly develop a keen understanding of the company's legal and operational aspects and equally and actively participate in making business decisions and strategic planning
* Work on a broad range of legal matters by providing legal services to a number of in-house clients
* Work with in-house clients to structure, draft, and negotiate various transactions, including license agreements, development and supply agreements, and other customer- and vendor-facing relationships with domestic and international counterparties and advise on the interpretation of executed agreements
* Conduct training on legal issues and develop procedures and legal forms
* While focusing on the commercial area of the Company's business, other areas of responsibility, will include transactional matters, compliance, employment, and litigation management
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Review, draft, and negotiate contracts and other legal documents, including marketing, development, supply, clinical, material transfer, consulting and confidentiality agreements
* Provide training on legal issues relevant to our business
* Provide advice regarding regulatory legal issues, assist in reviewing labeling, marketing, and other materials, and ensure marketing and sales strategies comply with legal requirements.
* Oversee development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure AdvaMed compliance and with laws, rules and regulations that are applicable or relevant to the products and services the Company provides, and the markets in which we operate
* Establish effective and efficient processes to ensure legal review of appropriate business matters for meeting all legal, contractual and compliance requirements
* Utilize legal principals to identify opportunities for minimizing risks and maximizing profits.
* Manage and perform projects that involve complex or difficult issues requiring a high degree of original and constructive legal effort and business acumen
* Provide management with guidance in identifying critical legal issues and opportunities
* Administer other legal matters as required by the Company
* A Juris Doctorate degree required plus an active license to practice law in any state (California preferred)
* 10 years of practice as an attorney in a well-regarded law firm and in-house
* Medical device or pharmaceutical industry experience
* Expertise with respect to corporate compliance and transactional experience is required, including strong contract drafting skills
* Ability to build consensus with diverse stakeholders and third parties and form strong, collaborate working relationships with clients
* Comfortable in front of customers, suppliers, peers and senior management in both leading and supporting roles
* Ability to manage a significant number of projects simultaneously and to thrive in a dynamic and fast paced environment
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* Proven analytical capacity, superior financial and business judgment; ability to recognize business impact of legal advice
* Must have high interpersonal skills to handle a variety of situations; position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy
* Must be detail oriented
* Excellent organization and time management skills
* Experience managing outside counsel
* Ability to work effectively and supportively within a global team
To Apply: https://www2.apply2jobs.com/VolcanoCorp/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=395&CurrentPage=1&sid=11
*VICE PRESIDENT, CORPORATE COUNSEL – LEGAL COLLECTIONS
Encore Capital, San Diego
The accelerating maturation of our industry brings exciting opportunities and challenges to our Legal Collections channel. To support our goals in this area, we are seeking in-house counsel for a Vice President or Director role to assist with the management, development and execution of legal activities for our growing in-house litigation collections group and to oversee our extensive network of external firms throughout the U.S. Successful candidates will be responsible for using their knowledge and skills to manage and assist in the development and growth of the company’s legal collections efforts, enhance the company’s processes, and help to maintain the company’s ethical and compliance standards. The role requires strength in managing a significant team, and ensuring the mentoring and development of legal professionals. The position will report to our Senior Vice President and General Counsel, and will manage other in-house counsel and legal staff in pursuit of company goals and objectives. Primary responsibilities include:
* Managing a large and growing legal staff in the legal collection channel.
* Applying a strong understanding of applicable collections policies as well as federal and state regulatory issues.
* Communicating with clients regarding current legal and regulatory issues.
* Ensuring compliance with state and federal laws, and adherence to court procedures and processes.
* Assisting with enhancements to business-area processes.
* Working on special projects as required.
Required Skills and Experience:
* JD from an ABA accredited law school and admission to practice law in at least one state.
* Minimum of 10 to 15 years of legal department management experience, with preferred experience as a front-line collection attorney, experience in the collection industry, or experience in financial services.
* Strong knowledge of the legal and regulatory framework affecting the debt buying and debt collection industries including: FDCPA, FCRA, GLBA and related state statutes.
* Technologically adept, with familiarity with collections software including JST, CLS, Q-Law, Cognet or similar systems a plus.
* Strong critical thinking and strategic skills.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Prior experience and comfort working with senior management.
* Strong organizational skills, the ability to prioritize, and work in a rapidly changing environment.
If you are looking for a rewarding career in a growing organization, please submit your resume and salary history for consideration to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Please reference job code VPCCLC-LA on all correspondence.
IN HOUSE COUNSEL / INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Unnamed Company, Oceanside
The candidate will prepare, file and prosecute patent applications, with a primary focus on the protection of inventions and patent prosecution relating to large molecule biologics. Will maintain a substantial and active prosecution docket of U.S. and foreign patent applications, with interference, reexamination and opposition practices as they may arise with prosecution. Develop in-depth expertise in particular areas of biotherapeutic Technology and provide guidance on Patent Law issues to business groups and scientists conducting research in those areas. Will also involve diligence work, including freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and agreement support work (MTAs, CDAs, research collaborations and licensing agreements). The candidate should have a United States law degree with 3+ years of experience (but open to those with significantly more) in active biotech patent prosecution (with experience in the past 2 years preferably consisting of at least 50% patent filing and prosecution), either in a Pharma or Biotech therapeutics corporate setting or representing such clients in a law firm. Should have admission to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. An advanced degree in the biological sciences is required, with a Ph.D. preferred. Technical expertise and/or patent prosecution experience in the area of oncology is strongly preferred. Experience with client counseling and strategic prosecution of active and complex patent portfolios with respect to biotech therapeutics in development or being commercialized is highly desirable. Transactional or other Contract experience also desirable. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=14570&key2=nwo
SENIOR COUNSEL PATENT OPERATIONS
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Primary responsibilities are: patent application drafting and prosecution; outside counsel management; invention mining; portfolio management, including making decisions concerning domestic and foreign filing, and annuity payments. Attorneys are expected to work well with inventors to identify potential valuable innovations and construct quality patent filings. Significant experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications, with preference to strong technical background having familiarity with software, broadband, and wireless communication technologies. Must understand how to read and interpret technical documents and standards. Well-developed communication, legal, technical and business skills sought. Attorney must have a JD degree and Electrical or Electronic Engineering Degree, or Physics Degree will be considered. Must be admitted to the USPTO and licensed by at least one state bar. To Apply: https://motomobi.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=26880&src=JB-10200
LEGAL COUNSEL (REAL ESTATE, FACILITIES, CONSTRUCTION)
QUALCOMM, San Diego
Employee will act as a lawyer for QREF in all of its operations, reporting to QREF Vice President of Business Services and Legal Counsel. In addition, the employee will provide real estate, facilities and construction related legal services to other business divisions of Qualcomm and its affiliates. Skills/Experience Required:
Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited and reputable law school. Member of the State Bar of California. Also required is substantial experience in practicing real estate law, including recent, extensive experience in drafting and negotiating sophisticated commercial/office leases, acquisition and sale of commercial office buildings, and preparation and negotiation of significant construction related documentation. Attorney with prior background at a national or regional law firm or a well-regarded real estate "boutique" firm is strongly preferred. Responsibilities: As noted above, employee will act as a lawyer for all of QREF's operations as well as legal resource for other divisions within Qualcomm. Employee's primary duties include preparing and negotiating sophisticated commercial leases, preparing and negotiating construction related documentation, preparing and negotiating real estate purchase and sale agreements, interacting with local governmental agencies and authorities in connection with Qualcomm development activities in California, overseeing outside legal counsel and providing other legal services as needed and appropriate. Education Requirements Required: Juris Doctor, Law Degree. Apply directly at: http://www.qualcomm.com/careers
IN HOUSE CONTRACT ATTORNEY – LONG TERM
Unnamed Company, Orange County
Long-term contract attorney opportunity. February 2012 start date; prefer candidates available to commit to duration of position. The scope of work includes drafting, reviewing and negotiating manufacturing contract documents re purchasing and sale of goods. Candidates must have the foregoing experience to be considered and previous experience in the aerospace industry a plus. Prefer experienced contract attorney candidates, local to Orange County. CA State bar required to be considered. To Apply: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/lgl/2786979000.html
Notes on Contract Work
Are you are interested in doing short-term work as an independent contractor, usually for litigation and due diligence projects, usually through an agency, and most often for law firms? We do not include these sorts of positions in this Job List, but if you are interested, there seems to be a constant demand and turn-over. So we would encourage you to contact directly our long-standing sponsor, who has extensive experience handling these sorts of placements:
402 West Broadway, Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101
And as a matter of full disclosure, another local company that advertises these sorts of positions is:
4520 Executive Drive, Suite 227
San Diego, California 92121-3020
858-453-0133 · Fax: 858-453-7508
Copyright © 2011 by
Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter
All rights reserved.