Job List - April 2, 2012
Job List, April 2, 2012
Listings that are new in this edition are shown with an asterisk *
Please remember, if your company has a job opening, please let us know by contacting our new Editor, Rebecca Grossenbacher at email@example.com so we can include your opening in our biweekly announcement. Exceptional targeted marketing for free!!
Do you wish your company could be listed at the top of our list? Contact us directly with your opening. And you can help make this Job List more successful: Put this Job List in the hands of your HR department so that they know how to advertise for in-house attorneys, when the time comes. Take action now!
Cubic Corporation, San Diego
Source: Member Referral
Provide legal advice for all aspects of Cubic’s business areas, with emphasis on Cubic’s defense group, including federal government contracts, subcontracts, and contracts with foreign customers, agents and representatives. Advise the corporate export control organizations and assist on related matters as necessary. Review software licenses and real estate leases. Assist in labor and human resources matters as requested. Assist with the due diligence of potential mergers and acquisitions and document drafting related to such activities. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority. This position reports to the General Counsel. ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (may be required to perform additional job duties):
* Review and negotiate domestic and international government contracts and advise business units.
* Review and negotiate software licenses and real estate leases
* Review and negotiate commercial documents and contracts.
* Engage in M&A due diligence, with emphasis in the government contracts area.
* Manage outside counsel, including developing litigation strategy.
* Research and interpret statutes, rulings and regulations.
* Confer with colleagues with specialty in areas of law to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings.
* Assist with supervising and coordinating activities of paralegal personnel.
Preferred additional capabilities:
* Working knowledge of the US export control laws and regulations.
* Experience in labor law and advising Human Resources departments.
* Litigation or other advocacy experience before relevant administrative or judicial bodies.
* Experience with legal issues pertaining to intellectual property rights.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS (education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities):
JD degree plus a minimum of six years of relevant legal experience. Must be licensed to practice law in the state of California and be a member of the California State Bar. Ability to interface with all levels of employees and management. Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact in extremely delicate, sensitive and/or complex situations. Excellent analytic and writing skills. Must be able to prioritize, complete multiple tasks and work under project deadline requirements with minimal supervision. Must be able to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance. To Apply: www.cubic.com/careers *IN HOUSE COUNSEL
Route Sixxty-Six Ventures, San Diego
Source: Member Referral
San Diego-based consumer loan financial services company is seeking an in-house attorney with 6 + years of experience in the consumer loan financial services industry. Consumer loan securitization experience is strongly preferred, along with consumer loan regulatory compliance knowledge (including FDCPA and FCRA). Candidates should have 7 + years of total experience as a transactional attorney, in-house counsel experience is a plus. The ideal candidate will have student loan experience, including dealing with purchasing, selling and acquiring consumer loan assets and dealing with documents and agreements for consumer loan securitizations, such as indentures, securitization trust agreements, loan servicing agreements and securitization administration agreements. Background handling legal issues/matters for consumer loan customer service, collections and related operations is a plus. Information security and privacy experience is desired. This is a great opportunity to work in-house for an established growing organization in San Diego with a great work environment. To apply contact firstname.lastname@example.org
*SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL
San Diego Association of Governments, San Diego
As a member of the four person Office of General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will serve as a technical resource to agency executives and project managers and will support various programs, projects, and services by conducting research and preparing resolutions, memoranda, opinions, and other legal documents, providing legal guidance related to agency contracting and procurement processes, assisting with litigation, providing legal guidance and opinions to various committees and working groups; and providing assistance to the General Counsel. This is a limited term employment opportunity and is expected to be funded through June 2014. Limited Term Employees are considered to be “at-will” and receive many of the benefits of regular employees. Job Responsibilities:
This opportunity is best suited for an experienced legal professional with an interest in furthering their expertise in a regional public agency setting. We anticipate significant career development will occur while working on the types of duties and responsibilities described below and through mentoring and close collaboration with management staff. Examples of primary responsibilities for this position include:
* Provide legal guidance on public agency contracting and procurement processes ensuring contracts and agreements are consistent with federal, state, and/or local funding agency requirements and are written in a manner that protects the interests of SANDAG.
* Participate in the review and final approval of contracts, agreements, amendments, Memoranda of Understanding, task orders, and leases; provide advice to staff regarding pre-bid qualifications and bid protests.
* Analyze, review, and draft contracts, agreements, real property documents, releases, and other legal documents that bind or obligate SANDAG; provide legal opinions and recommendations to ensure SANDAG is properly and effectively represented; review rules, regulations, and policies to ensure legal compliance with all applicable state and federal laws.
* Assist in the development and review of language regarding insurance and indemnification in agency contracts; review
insurance certificates for adequacy and recommend levels of exposure to insure.
* Assist in representing SANDAG in legal proceedings before courts, administrative agencies and boards, arbitrators, and other administrative agencies; negotiate, defend, or settle legal disputes; assist with conducting legal research, preparing pleadings, briefs, motions, court orders, and other court documents; appear in court, and negotiate with other parties; coordinate SANDAG’s representation by outside counsel in proceedings.
* Assist with litigation involving construction claims, stop notices, performance bonds, payment bonds, and mechanic's lien claims pursuant to the public works construction law; oversee any outside counsel hired to represent the agency in such matters.
* Respond to and defend SANDAG against consultant/contractor protests and claims under the Tort Claims Act.
* Provide technical legal support to Policy Advisory Committees and Working Groups; assist with the review of meeting agendas and notices; ensure meeting proceedings, decisions, and recommendations are consistent with and in compliance with public agency meeting requirements and practices such as the Brown Act and Robert’s Rules of Order; present and explain legal issues and opinions in public meetings.
* Provide general legal guidance and opinions to agency executives, managers, and project managers on a wide variety of legal issues and requirements pertaining to SANDAG’s programs, projects, services, and responsibilities.
* Develop a thorough understanding of the goals and priorities of the agency’s various departments in order to support their programs and projects; serve as a strategic partner with project managers to address issues.
* Coordinate activities with those of other divisions and outside agencies and organizations; provide staff assistance to the General Counsel as well as to the Executive Director and Board of Directors as requested; prepare and present staff reports, agendas, and other necessary correspondence.
* Assist with responding to media requests concerning legal issues and responding to difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints; serve as a technical advisor on and respond to Public Records Act requests.
* Develop and write state, federal, and local legislation; review and analyze proposed legislation.
* Assist with interviewing, hiring, and overseeing the work of legal interns.
* Collect past due amounts owed to SANDAG.
* Assist in the review and implementation of SANDAG’s Conflicts Code and Conflict of Interest Policies; provide technical advice regarding the Political Reform Act.
Experience and Qualifications: Numerous factors contribute to an individual’s ability to be successful in any given role. For this position, we are searching for an articulate, confident legal professional with highly developed communication skills and the ability to explain complex issues in an easily-understandable way. An aptitude for analytical thinking and innovation and a commitment to providing outstanding service while meeting numerous time-sensitive deadlines also are important characteristics. The minimum education, training, and experience qualifications include a Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and a minimum of five years of professional legal experience as an attorney, preferably in municipal or other governmental law. Status as a member in good standing of the State Bar of California, or the ability to obtain such status, is required. The following information describes the specific types of career experiences that are most relevant to this position.
* Demonstrated knowledge of legal principles, practices, and procedures relating to administrative, contract, insurance, real property, transportation, land use, environmental, and construction matters particularly as applied to public agencies; knowledge of specific laws relevant to California local government agencies including the California Government Code, Public Records Act, and the Political Reform Act.
* Knowledge and demonstrated ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local laws, codes, policies, and regulations pertaining to municipal finance, parliamentary procedures, and other legal proceedings.
* Knowledge and experience with standard public agency methodologies and strategies used in the procurement of products and professional services; demonstrated knowledge and experience with rules, regulations, and laws related to public agency contracts including the California Public Contract Code.
* Experience with specific laws relevant to California local government agencies in order to address federal and state regulations, dealing primarily with transportation and transit related issues; specific experience working with statutes from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is highly desirable.
* Experience with public works construction law including various project delivery methods and their relevant procurement principles.
* Experience working with local elected officials and supporting public boards, committees, and/or working groups by providing legal advice and ensuring compliance with the Robert’s Rules of Order and the Brown Act is desirable.
* Experience with methods of legal research and the ability to prepare sound legal opinions.
* Knowledge of the California Tort Claims Act as well as experience in construction execution and litigation is highly desirable.
* Experience analyzing legal issues and applying relevant legal principles and practices; ability to evaluate alternatives and recommend an effective course of action.
* Ability to prepare a variety of legal documents,
comprehensive reports, and correspondence; ability to prepare and present legal information in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing; ability to make effective and persuasive legal arguments.
* Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions on legal casework and in dealing with people; ability to work effectively with outside Counsel and employees in a sensitive and diplomatic manner.
* Experience with litigation and other legal proceedings and the ability to review, strategize, and oversee outside counsel on SANDAG’s legal matters.
We encourage all interested candidates to apply for this position. Please include all of the following before applying. Applications received without these items will be screened out of the selection process.
1. Complete a SANDAG Employment Application form. The Employment Application can be downloaded in PDF format from the SANDAG Web site. Alternatively, a copy can be requested by calling (619) 699-1900 or email@example.com. To help us further evaluate the skills and experience of individuals interested in this position, applicants are asked to respond to supplemental questions. The responses can be up to 500 words per question. Please submit: a) Please provide an example of when you gave legal guidance to a client in a complex, non-routine situation. b) Provide an example of how you deliver excellent client service while balancing legal compliance requirements. Please submit your completed Employment Application and related materials via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax, regular mail, courier, or delivered by hand. See our Careers / How to Apply tab at the top of this page for additional information. Resumes and cover letters may be submitted in addition to the Employment Application and Supplemental Information but are not a substitute for these documents. This recruitment will remain open until filled. The first review of applications for the Senior Legal Counsel position will begin on Monday, April 9, 2012.
Unnamed Company, San Diego
The candidate will provide advice and draft documents pertaining to corporate governance. Will anticipate and Guard against Legal risks facing the company. Assist with developing, improving, and recommending company policy and position on Legal issues. Provide analysis and counsel on Legal issues arising from actual or anticipated lawsuits. Coordinate with outside counsel on a variety of matters. Assist the Human Resources department with employment matters. Prepare miscellaneous Legal documents. Draft, revise and negotiate various contracts. Develop and manage use of appropriate standard Legal contracts. Assist with civil litigation matters and Product Claims. Render General Legal advice to all department executives. The candidate should have a J.D. degree from an accredited law school. Should have membership in the State Bar as an attorney qualified to practice law in the State of California. Must have 5+ years of relevant Legal experience to include work with corporations, developing Legal contracts, labor issues, Sarbanes-Oxley, Product Claims and civil litigation. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=16208&key2=nwo
*ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, Carlsbad
* Provide legal department support.
* Assist in the monitoring and maintenance of various corporate governance practices and policies.
* Assist in the preparation and filing of periodic reports, annual reports and other documents.
* Assist in other general transactional and corporate matters.
Performs general legal services for the company. Is responsible for one or more areas of legal specialization as assigned by the General Counsel, such as real estate, governmental agreements, commercial litigation, intellectual property licensing, employment, strategic partnerships, and contracts. Supervises and administers all necessary legal services in assigned matters, in conjunction with other in-house or outside legal counsel as required.
* 15+ years of experience.
* JD degree with excellent academic credentials and California Bar membership in good standing.
* Superior writing and oral communication skills.
* Exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to professionalism, integrity and collegiality.
* Flexibility and willingness to work on a broad range of legal matters.
* Prior experience with a telecom or other high tech company is desirable but not required.
To Apply: https://xjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=808263&sec=1&partnerid=425&siteid=5199
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Provides legal advice for all aspects of business areas, with emphasis on the defense group, including federal government contracts, subcontracts, and contracts with foreign customers, agents and representatives. Advises the corporate export control organizations and assists on related matters as necessary. Reviews software licenses and real estate leases. Assists in labor and human resources matters as requested. Assists with the due diligence of potential mergers and acquisitions and document drafting related to such activities. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Reviews and negotiates domestic and international government contracts and advises business units
Reviews and negotiates software licenses and real estate leases
Reviews and negotiates commercial documents and contracts
Engages in M&A due diligence, with emphasis in the government contracts area
Manages outside counsel, including developing litigation strategy
Researches and interprets statutes, rulings and regulations
Confers with colleagues with specialty in areas of law to establish and verify basis for legal proceedings
Assists with supervising and coordinating activities of paralegal personnel
Preferred additional capabilities:
Working knowledge of the US export control laws and regulations
Experience in labor law and advising Human Resources departments
Litigation or other advocacy experience before relevant administrative or judicial bodies
Experience with legal issues pertaining to intellectual property rights
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS: JD degree plus a minimum of six years of relevant legal experience. Must be licensed to practice law in the state of California and be a member of the California State Bar. Ability to interface with all levels of employees and management. Effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact in extremely delicate, sensitive and/or complex situations. Excellent analytic and writing skills. Must be able to prioritize, complete multiple tasks and work under project deadline requirements with minimal supervision. Must be able to obtain a Department of Defense security clearance. To Apply: https://www.ivyexec.com/professionals/search/job/0b392687/?promo=INDEED2&utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=IndeedCPC
Sempra Energy, San Diego
The Senior Counsel will be responsible for providing legal support on a wide variety of transactional matters for Sempra Energy. This support includes assisting with the analysis of potential domestic and international transactions and drafting and negotiating such transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project development and other arrangements, and the drafting and negotiating of documents relating to such transactions. Qualifications: Seven or more years of experience in corporate transactional law, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. Experience with project finance, international transactions or the energy industry are a requirement. Additional experience in real-estate matters is a plus. The preferred candidate should have experience with a well established law firm and/or a corporate legal department. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex business situations and develop recommendations which meet the company’s legal and business needs. The person must also have the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively to management, possess strong document drafting and negotiating skills and experience, and exercise independent judgment. We are seeking a team player with good personal skills and the ability to work well under pressure and multi-task. Some travel may be required. To Apply: http://www.compliancesearch.com/cgibin/webdata_pro.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=new&keyval=jobs.ID=1319567012
ASSISTANT GENERAL COUNSEL
Bridgepoint Education, San Diego
The Assistant General Counsel and Vice President, Legal Services position is a full-time employment opportunity. Reporting to the SVP/Secretary/General Corporate Counsel, the Assistant General Counsel and Vice President, Legal Services will assists in protecting an organization's legal interest and maintaining its operations within the scope established by law. Provides hands-on counsel to all levels of executive staff and manages the operations of legal department. Responsible for identifying, analyzing and making clear recommendations on legal issues, executing on litigation strategies and assuring legal compliance. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks. Leads and directs the work of others in the legal department. Essential Job Duties: Prepares and renders legal opinions and oversees research services to the SVP/Secretary/General Corporate Counsel, Executive/Senior Management and the Board of Directors; In the absence of the SVP/Secretary/General Corporate Counsel, attends and provides legal advice at meetings of the Board of Directors and such other meetings as the Executive Leadership Team directs; Assists in drafting legal documents, Board policies, rules and regulations, resolutions, applications of diverse kinds and other legal or related documents upon request; Keeps abreast of legislation relating to higher education and general corporate governance; Represents the organization at state and federal workshops and seminars relating to legal services and participates in in-service programs with staff to limit exposure to liability; Attends various negotiating sessions, grievance hearings, administrative hearings, arbitration or appeals and provides legal advice and counsel; Oversees the developing and delivery of staff training sessions and workshops; In consultation with the SVP/Secretary/General Corporate Counsel selects, monitors and manages outside law firms in various areas; In consultation with SVP/Secretary/General Corporate Counsel and Executive Management, develops litigation strategies where necessary; Advises Executive Leadership on occasional special transactional or corporate projects; Advises Executive Leadership on legal aspect of the company's finances, including assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities; Analyzes legal and business risks and proposes creative, business-oriented solutions; As necessary, participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs, and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters; When asked by Executive Leadership, responds to inquiries from regulatory agencies, members, and business community; Supervises legal staff and operations of the department; and conducts all duties in a manner to enhance the image and culture of the organization. Core Competencies: Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization. Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships. Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community. Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility. Leadership Competencies: Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity. Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values. Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals. Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization. Driving Results: The final competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results. Minimum Requirements: Minimum of 7 years of professional legal experience in one or more relevant legal areas; Skill in interpreting applicable federal and state laws and county office policies and procedures; Skill in conducting information and organizing material into manageable form; skill in applying data collected to resolve problems; Skill in formulating recommendations, proposals and counter proposals; Skill in preparing and presenting effective written and oral reports, recommendations and procedures; Ability to develop, maintain and coordinate effective relationships with appropriate groups; and strong presentation and negotiation skills, solid business instinct and judgment. Preferred Qualifications: 2 years previous experience as an Assistant, Deputy or Associate General Counsel. Education: Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school; and preferred admittance to the California State Bar. Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended. Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations. Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions. Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate. To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties must apply through the Bridgepoint Education online employment application system. For additional information about our organization, please visit www.bridgepointeducation.com.
LEGAL COUNSEL (CORPORATE R&D)
QUALCOMM, San Diego
Advise and assist with a broad range of issues in the areas of general business law, contracts, intellectual property, and the legal implications/considerations of business and technical strategies and projects, with special emphasis on research and development projects. This position is based in Qualcomms San Diego Headquarters and reports to a Vice President, Legal. The position requires a highly experienced transactional attorney with a broad range of transactional and technical experience. The position will focus on negotiating, reviewing, drafting and overseeing a wide range of transactional arrangements, including inbound and outbound licensing, manufacturing agreements with OEMS and other suppliers, development agreements, purchase agreements, open source licenses, services agreements related to servicing of hardware and software, and consulting agreements. The successful candidate must have a strong technical background and be able to understand and contribute to a strong team of highly competent engineers in finding legal solutions for research and development projects. The successful candidate must be experienced in drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements, amendments and other legal documentation in a broad spectrum of transactions. The successful applicant will work closely with the company's engineering, manufacturing, procurement and other departments. Other legal tasks as required. More than 5 years experience overall required, including at least two years law firm experience at a top tier law firm with particular emphasis on contract drafting and negotiation, and with technology development and licensing (including licensing of software, know-how and patents). Must have solid understanding of contract law and the ability to identify and handle issues in many disciplines, with particular expertise in intellectual property and commercial law. Must have comfort dealing with scientific and technical terminology. Strong technical skills focused on electrical engineering and/or computer science are advantageous. Flexibility and willingness to work on all types of matters, large and small, is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills and excellent drafting skills are also required. The ideal candidate will be able to understand complex technical issues and to explain complex ideas to non-lawyers so that they understand it. Must be a team player. Bachelors + Law School + Must be a member of the California State Bar or eligible to register as Registered In-House Counsel in California. To Apply: https://jobs.qualcomm.com/public/jobDetails.xhtml?requisitionId=1897049&page=jobSearch&jobSearch&source=Indeed_organic
IN HOUSE COUNSEL
Sony, San Diego
Sony Electronics headquartered in San Diego, CA, is currently looking for an Attorney who will provide in-house counsel for one or more of Sony Electronics' business units. A key function of your role will be to negotiate and draft complex legal documents between Sony Electronics and external parties. Depending on the business unit, such agreements may include service contracts, technology and software licenses, marketing and advertising agreements, outsourcing agreements, non-disclosure agreements, sales agreements and distributor and reseller agreements. You may also review advertising and marketing materials for some of the consumer marketing groups. Depending on Law Department needs, you may assist as necessary with various aspects of litigation including directing outside counsel activities, contributing to strategic analysis, assisting with discovery, and providing cost control recommendations. You will facilitate management decisions by explaining potential liability exposure commensurate with business opportunities. You will provide legal training for members of your business unit(s) as well as provide input to or direct contract administrators in the department. To Apply: https://sony.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=143387&src=JB-10462
SENIOR LEGAL COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Fortune 500 Company seeks Senior Legal Counsel to draft, negotiate and close a wide range of technology transactions-related arrangements, such as for consumer electronics development, software development, software licensing, outsourcing, security, systems integration, supply and professional service agreements. Coordinate with multiple internal departments such as Product Management, Engineering and Program Management functions, as well as Export Compliance, Open Source, Patent Licensing, Patent Creation, Nondisclosure, and Strategic IP, to advise and support development of FLO TV products and services. Advise as to product regulatory compliance. Should have a J.D. from accredited law school. Should be a member in good standing with California State Bar. Should have strong educational pedigree. Transactional experience and demonstrated success at top-tier law firm, preferably 5-7 years. In-house experience (3+ years) and demonstrated success as in-house counsel for companies involved in consumer electronics, digital media, telecommunications and software industries. Experience with consumer electronics regulatory compliance, patent licensing and open source is highly desirable. Understanding of emerging media distribution technologies a significant plus. Flexibility and willingness to work on all types of matters, large and small, is essential. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent drafting skills are also required. Must be a team player. Some international as well as domestic travel may be required. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=4539&key2=nwo
CORPORATE COUNSEL, LEGAL AFFAIRS, CONTRACTS
NuVasive, San Diego
The successful candidate will support the company with drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts, including sales agreements, manufacturing/supplier contracts, consulting agreements, pre & post market study agreements, software and other technology related license agreements, marketing services agreements, labor and employment agreements, and other commercial contracts. Ability to understand, interpret and explain contractual terms and conditions and legal principles to business staff and customers and assist with negotiation strategy. Works with various other internal departments to make sure that all Company needs are met in the drafting and negotiating process. Analyzes and administers the Company’s contracts process and makes changes as necessary. Create and update forms as applicable. Effectively communicates with internal clients to deliver excellent legal service. Works on other matters at the direction of the Sr. Director, Legal Affairs. Thorough knowledge and understanding of general contract terms and structures with the ability to effectively analyze and respond to contractual redlines in writing and orally. Significant experience in drafting, negotiating, and revising standard, non-standard, and complex custom contracts. Strong interpersonal communication skills; teamwork/collaboration, analytical and problem solving capabilities. Attention to detail. Contracts Attorney with 3+ years of experience working in-house in a legal department. Strong preference to experience within a medical device company or life sciences company. Outstanding academic credentials (excellent academic record at top tier law school). Member of California bar. To Apply: http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?ipath=EXIND&siteid=cbindeed&Job_DID=JHP2LV6MGNGCRJX81X1
IN HOUSE HEALTHCARE COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, Oceanside
The candidate will work as part of the Healthcare Law Group. Will advise internal clients on a wide variety of matters related to commercialization of Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical products, with a focus on FDA labeling and promotional matters, fraud and abuse laws, Product liability, and other Legal and regulatory issues affecting the sale and promotion of biotech drugs. May spend part of the time assisting company's development and Medical affairs organization with contracts and Legal requirements for Clinical development activities within and outside the United States. Should have a J.D. degree with Bar admission and 5+ years of experience, including 3+ years advising clients in FDA-related labeling and promotional Legal matters, preferably with experience in an in-house setting. Candidate with experience advising mid- to senior-level managers would be preferred. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=15889&key2=nwo
SENIOR COUNSEL – CORPORATE LAW
Unnamed Company, San Diego
The candidate will be responsible for providing Legal support on a wide variety of transactional matters for company. This support includes assisting with the analysis of potential domestic and International transactions and Drafting and negotiating such transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, project development and other arrangements, and the Drafting and negotiating of documents relating to such transactions. The candidate should have 7+ years of experience in corporate transactional law, including mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures. Experience with project Finance, International transactions or the energy Industry are a requirement. Additional experience in real-estate matters is a plus. Should ideally have experience with a well established law firm and/or a corporate Legal department. Must demonstrate the ability to analyze complex business situations and develop recommendations which meet the company's Legal and business needs. Should also have the ability to communicate effectively and persuasively to Management, possess strong document Drafting and negotiating skills and experience, and exercise independent judgment. We are seeking a team player with good personal skills and the ability to work well under pressure and multi-task. Some Travel may be required. To Apply: http://www.gcconsulting.com/joblisting.php?id=15779&key2=nwo
IN HOUSE COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, Carlsbad
Company dealing in Intellectual Property is seeking to hire someone immediately. This is a permanent position, however the first six months will be a trial period. After the first three months, there will be a performance review. This position will require 40-60 hour workweeks. Qualifications:
• Licensed to practice law in California and New York
• 8 years of litigation and trial experience; Do Not Apply unless you have at least 8 years.
• Assistance in Appellate work.
• Must be flexible and a team player
• The ability to adapt, take on and handle new and different tasks.
• Able to work independently
• Eager and willing to dive right in and also to further learn and grow.
• Drafting summary motions, deal work, IP (trademark, copyright) and general transactional matters.
• Reviewing and evaluating motion picture titles for chain of title, copyright ownership, distribution rights and film title rights.
• Right of Publicity, Trademark Lanham Act, Copyright in novel areas, Character Rights and Anti Trust
• Research and Trademark protection
• Handling non-complex general business litigation from start to finish, including law and motion practice, discovery, and trail, if necessary.
• Drafting and negotiating general business contracts.
• Litigating breach of contract claims and business litigation for the company.
• Performing duties of lead counsel and co-counsel with expert in litigation.
• Performing legal research, and writing briefs, memoranda
• Ensuring court deadlines are met and court rules and procedure are followed.
• Content acquisition and licensing deals.
To Apply: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/lgl/2893071824.html
IN HOUSE COUNSEL
Unnamed Company, San Diego
Financially Distressed Property Asset Firm is looking for an experienced attorney licensed in the state of California to help with the following.
• Advising partners and managers
• Dealing with clients
• Drafting a firm set of rules and regulations for all companies
• Representation in negotiations and court procedures
We are a growing company in a thriving industry and need representation and advice from in-house counsel as we navigate these treacherous waters of our current economy. If you are a licensed attorney in the state of CA and interested in coming to work for a well funded reputable company that has an un-compromised reputation please forward us your resume immediately. To Apply: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/lgl/2879492140.html
Unnamed Company, San Diego
• Sorrento Valley biotech company seeks an experienced corporate attorney to support their business development, vendor and regular business activities in the U.S. and internationally. Must have experience working with executives to review, draft, modify and negotiate a wide range of agreements and assist with certain compliance related matters. May also handle other corporate legal matters depending upon experience.
• Quickly and efficiently tracks, drafts, reviews/modifies and negotiates agreements, including license, purchase, sales, affiliate, distribution, services, statements of work, advisory board, non-disclosure agreements, consulting, insurance, lease and other commercial agreements.
• Ensures contracts are in compliance with federal, state and local laws and regulations and company policies, procedures and practices.
• Foresees, assesses, and advises regarding potential benefits and risks within contracts and associated business practices, and where appropriate recommends alternatives or otherwise protects against such risks to achieve business objectives consistent with applicable law.
• Interacts directly and effectively with company executives, proposing creative, pragmatic assessments and solutions to moderately complex issues.
• Conducts legal research on Westlaw and other on-line computer research databases and develops and tracks information.
• Advises management on other legal matters based on experience.
• May hire and supervise outside counsel, including budget and invoice administration, as required, depending upon experience.
• Law degree from an accredited law school
• Member of the California Bar
• Minimum of 5-8 years of experience as a practicing attorney in contracting and corporate matters
• A combination of work experience in a major or mid-sized law firm and a global organization's legal department is preferred; experience working with entrepreneurial companies is preferred; public company experience is a plus
• Solid issues-spotting and risk-assessment skills, including liability risks
• Must possess excellent written and oral communications skills and excellent negotiating and conflict resolution skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and work autonomously and in collaborative settings with a strong sense of urgency
• Analytical, creative, can-do, quick, and decisive approach to solving problems and evaluating opportunities
• Demonstrated ability to create solid working relationships within the company and partner effectively with business clients to achieve business objectives
• Handles and preserves company confidential information and data
• Not required, however considered a plus for any candidate:
o Corporate law, e.g., resolutions, forms, stock, etc.
o Employment and labor law, compensation and benefits
o Laboratory, health care, physician and medical device laws
o Technology law
o Product liability
• Competently utilize MS Outlook and Office Suite
• Flexible schedule allowing for on-demand and weekend work based on business need
* Must have healthcare experience
To Apply: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/lgl/2900170375.html
Notes on Contract Work
Are you are interested in doing short-term work as an independent contractor, usually for litigation and due diligence projects, usually through an agency, and most often for law firms? We do not include these sorts of positions in this Job List, but if you are interested, there seems to be a constant demand and turn-over. So we would encourage you to contact directly our long-standing sponsor, who has extensive experience handling these sorts of placements:
402 West Broadway, Suite 1200
San Diego, CA 92101
And as a matter of full disclosure, another local company that advertises these sorts of positions is:
4520 Executive Drive, Suite 227
San Diego, California 92121-3020
858-453-0133 · Fax: 858-453-7508
Copyright © 2012 by
Association of Corporate Counsel, San Diego Chapter
All rights reserved.