NJCCA 2010 Year in Review
I would like to thank our Executive Director, Gail Girard, our board of directors and committee leaders for continuing to make NJCCA an organization to be proud of. I would be remiss if I did not also acknowledge that the events and programs that we host for the membership are done in partnership with our faithful sponsors.
Below is a list of some of NJCCA's 2010 accomplishments:
I. Major Events
- Annual Spring Cocktail Party held in May at the Pleasantdale Chateau. For the first time ever, we held two hours of CLE instruction prior to the event. In addition, a silent auction was held to benefit the Court Appointed Special Advocates of New Jersey (CASA) (www.casaofnj.org)
- Fifth Annual Golf Classic. This always-successful and fun event once again was held at the Knoll West (Upper Knoll) Country Club golf course.
- Eighth Annual Full-Day CLE Conference held in September at the Marriott Hotel, Whippany. We had a record attendance of 375. The timely keynote presentation was given by Yvette Fortenot, Senior Policy Director, Office of Health Care Reform for the White House.
- Annual Dinner Again we held two hours of CLE instruction prior to tonight's festivities, which includes the installation of our next president, Evan Turtz, officers and board of directors; a wine tasting, cocktail reception, jazz music and a keynote address by Dan Bowling.
- Over 20 programs were provided for our members, including networking and social events
- NJCCA’s 8th Annual Full Day Conference was well attended and offered excellent substantive programming, including three ethics programs. Up to 8.5 credit hours of high-quality and in-house focused CLE were provided.
- NJCCA is an Accredited Provider for CLE credits for NY & NJ.
- NJCCA's Career Management and In-transition Committee hosted A Night of Networking, Expanding Your Professional Network by Making Personal Connections. The members took advantage of this event to build new and strengthen old friendships and brush up on their networking skills in advance of NJCCA’s Spring Reception. The format was a “rotating series of small groups” designed to facilitate meeting and getting to know their colleagues
III. Substantive Articles
- The Use of Interns In the Workplace ― Not Just Free Labor; Carolyn D. Richmond, Fox Rothschild LLP
- One Step Ahead: The New Sheriff, Her Deputies and Compliance in the Face of an Eroding Administrative Exemption; David G. Islinger and James M. McDonnell, Jackson Lewis LLP
- New Jersey Business Corporation Act Developments; Jeffrey M. Shapiro and Roger M. Schwarz, Lowenstein Sandler
- Roa v. LAFE and the Statute of Limitation in LAD Cases; Susan L. Nardone and Megan Frese Porio, Gibbons P.C.
- Courts Curtail the Application of the Consumer Fraud Act to “Consumer Transactions”; Michael O. Adelman and Justin C. Linder, Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Third Circuit Again Strictly Applies the Plain Language in Denying Lender's Credit Bid Rights in Philadelphia Newspapers, LLC; Morris S. Bauer, Norris McLaughlin & Marcus, P.A.
- Don’t Forget the Notice! Managing Notice Costs In Class Action Suits; David Jay and Jason H. Kislin, Greenberg Traurig
- Solar Energy Development in New Jersey: Right Time, Right Place!; Douglas J. Janacek, Esq. and Nancy A. Lottinville, Esq., Gibbons, PC
- Common Flaws that Undermine the Enforceability of Restrictive Covenant Agreements; William R. Horwitz, Porzio Bromberg & Newman, P.C.
- It's 2010: Do You Know Where Your Data Is? Increased Risk of ESI Loss in Today's Economic Uncertainty; Alitia Faccone, McCarter & English and Gina M. Trimarco, DLA Piper
- Click If You Agree; Frederic M. Wilz, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
IV. Pro Bono and Community Outreach Efforts
- New Jersey's Third Annual Pro Bono Conference co-sponsored with NJSBA and NJCCA's Pro Bono and Community Outreach Committee.
- Encouraged Pro Bono efforts: Invitations were extended to: Legal Services of New Jersey, Volunteer Lawyers for Justice and Pro Bono Partnership to join us at our Full-Day CLE Conference
- Annual Build-A-Backpack Event. 150 backpacks, filled with school supplies and a new book, were donated to the kindergarten and first grade classes at McKinley Elementary School in Newark. Photos of the event were included in the New Jersey Law Journal, the Metropolitan Corporate Counsel magazine and the NJCCA Newsletter.
- Holiday Outreach gift wrapped books as holiday gifts for children in need, sponsored by NJCCA's Pro Bono and Community Outreach Committee.
V. Advocacy Efforts
- Philip Crowley, Treasurer of NJCCA, also serves on the Board of Directors of the national ACC.
- Tori Payne, Director of Membership & Chapters from the ACC attended NJCCA’s Board Retreat and Catherine Moynihan, Director of Project Development (for the ACC Value Index) attend the 8th Annual All-Day Conference.
- As part of the ACC Value Index challenge that NJCCA held during the All Day CLE Conference in September, we raffled off an iPad. The Chapter was awarded two free admissions to an any upcoming ACC conferences, including Corporate Counsel University that will be raffled at an upcoming event.
VI. Networking Events
- Several Women’s Networking Committee events were held.
- Career Management and In-transition Committee hosted networking events every 6-8 weeks.
VII. Relations with Sponsors
- Strengthened partnerships with our sponsors through our “metal” sponsorship program.
- Continued developing sponsorships with small firms and legal service providers
- Encouraged long-term relationships with our sponsors large and small.
VIII. Communication Initiatives
- Published the 2010 NJCCA Membership Directory
- Published Monthly Newsletters: Including substantive articles, articles reporting on various NJCCA activities, announcements on upcoming events, member profiles and Overruled! our very own cartoon.
- Updated and enhanced Chapter website.
- Social Networking NJCCA groups formed on LinkedIn and Martindale-Connected
- Monthly Benchmarking surveys initiated. Three benchmarking surveys have been conducted and the results shared with the membership.
- Continued in-house counsel advocacy efforts.
- NJCCA’s President’s Letter appeared in the Metropolitan Corporate Counsel magazine.
- NJCCA’s Executive Director, President, President-Elect, and several members attended the national ACC convention